Monday, March 23, 2009

A Few Good Recipes


I promised you a few more recipes that are really yummy and easy to make. First, I should give you a recipe for almond and Brazil nut milks in case you've never made them before, because they are great bases for many recipes. If you make fruit smoothies, or put a lot of fruit in your green smoothies, using almond, or any nut milk, will slow any surges of blood sugar you might experience from sweet fruits. I also use almond milk in some of my soup bases. It makes an exceptional base for the mushroom soup I like.
It's getting harder to find truly raw almonds lately, but they are still out there. Nuts and seeds contain enzyme inhibitors that limit their digestibility, so soaking them for the appropriate time (each nut and seed is a bit different) releases these inhibitors causing the nuts and seeds to more easily assimilate. Another advantage to soaking them is that they will blend up more smoothly.

Almond Milk
1 cup of almonds soaked for at least 8 hours3 cups of filtered water
I blend the water and almonds for about 1-2 minutes on liquify. If you have a Vitamix
or a Blend-tec, you may only need to blend for 1 minute. If you have a nut milk bag, you can po
ur the milk through it to strain out the pulp, or I just pour it through a mesh strainer and using a silicon spatula, I press all of the liquid out of the pulp. After removing the pulp, I put it back in the blender and add a small amount of raw honey (optional), or you could add 2 soaked dates, and then I also add a small amount of vanilla bean scraped out of the pod, and then mix again for about 10 seconds. If I'm using it for smoothies, I usually add these. If I'm using the milk for soup bases, then I don't bother. You can store any left over in the refrigerator for 3 or 4 days. Mine is always used up before that, however....

Brazil Nut milk is also REALLY good! I make it the same as I do the almond milk. Again, just soaking the nuts first for probably six hours is enough for Brazil nuts.

Here's a recipe for a smoothie I like. The carrot tops have far more nutrition in them than do the roots, and most people just toss them out like they're a major inconvenience or a bad thing, but this smoothie incorporates them.

Cwazy Wabbit Smoothie

2 cups of nut milk or water
1 frozen banana
1 cup of strawberries, or mango, or raspberries
a handful of parsley
a handful of carrot greens (tops)

and blend away. This will make about 1 quart.

Italian Rawsage
This is one of my favorite things to eat. The recipe is from
Sergei and Valya Boutenko.

1 cup raw pumpkin seeds
1/2 head of lettus (I use romaine or mesculin mix)
1/2 cup olive oil (extra virgin cold pressed/organic if possible)
5 cloves of garlic
1/2 cup onion powder
1 T caraway seeds
1 T dried sage
1/2 cup fresh basil (I use dried if I don't have any fresh)

Blend all ingredients in a food processor. Form rawsage into small patties.
I also slice turnips very thin and put some rawsage inbetween two pieces as if making ravioli. It's also good as a stuffing for celery!

Cream of Shitake Soup

This recipe is from
Shazzie. If you've never heard of her you have to check her out. She has some amazing recipes, and is a fantastic raw food guru!

1 cup fresh shitake mushrooms, hard stems removed
1 tablespoon raw almond butter (I use some pulp from my almond milk)
2 cups Almond milk
1/2 cup red onion, finely chopped
1/2 cup parsley
1 cup celery, finely chopped
1/2 cup spinach, tightly packed and finely chopped
1 teaspoon sesame oil
dash of celtic or Himalayan sea salt
dried mushrooms for garnish

Combine the mushrooms, almond butter, and almond milk in a blender; blend well. Add the onion and parsley; stir well. Pour the soup into serving bowls.
Mix the celery and spinach with the sesame oil (and a little sea salt if you like). Place a small pile of this mixture in the middle of the soup, and sprinkle some dried mushrooms on top. I serve this as is, but you can warm the soup to about 105 degrees F without damaging the enzymes. If you do heat it, add the celery/spinach mixture after you warm it up.

Food prepared with love, will always love you back, so always prepare your food lovingly, stresslessly, and have a good time doing it!

Everyone thinks that eating the ‘right’ food is going to save their lives, but beating yourself up trying to make sure you're eating ‘the perfect food’, and then throwing in tons of guilt and stress about it is probably worse than eating a big old fat donut and loving it. It’s my thoughts about what I eat that either do the most good, or cause the worst reactions. It’s my thinking that makes me fat, or tired, or sick, but we all love using food and other stuff as the scapegoats. I find that when my thinking is stress free, and I question the thoughts that I’m believing to see if they are really true for me, then eating in the most natural way - simple and raw - just happens easily and effortlessly.

Expect a GOOD day!

XOXOXO,
Jacki

2 comments:

  1. Carrot tops in the smoothie, Brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They're sometimes a bit hard for a blender to 'chew up', but they're really good, and they make you chew your drink!

    ReplyDelete