Monday, March 16, 2009

Transitioning to a Diet of Raw Food


Here are a few thoughts to help you transition into a diet of raw/live foods.
I have found that beginning with a cleanse, before trying to change one’s diet radically, has worked well for me – and that includes cleansing, or detoxing, whatever seems to keep me stuck, and doing it as gently as possible is best. This summer, I did start by doing a cleanse with products by Standard Process. I did this only because a friend of mine told me her friends had done it with great success. Also, my husband had used Standard Process in his practice in California, so we were familiar with the company. My husband and I tried it, and it was a good jump start, I think. It was very gentle, and nourishing, and after 21 days, I really had no cravings for meat, dairy, wheat, or anything cooked - I pretty much went raw overnight.

However, I do think that eating in a more healthful way, and losing the pounds that I lost (45 in a little less than 3 months) had more to do with really questioning any thoughts that caused me stress, and many came to the front as I cleansed! A stressful thought always means to me that a
lie is lurking. When I’m stressed, it means that I’m believing something that isn’t true for me, and when I pay attention, and question those thoughts, they unravel and leave me. I honestly noticed that as I did this, and as I kept my attention on what I wanted to accomplish, rather than on observing what was, years of stubborn excess melted away. I did do some yoga also (mostly by myself, not at a class), and I paid attention to my breathing – made sure I took some deep breaths several times a day, and exhaled fully. That’s a great cleanser right there!

A stressful thought might be as innocuous as thinking you have to give up something you love, before you’re ready. Like, “I shouldn’t be eating chocolate, cheese, or drinking coffee”. Here’s how a little dialog on the subject might go...

“Chocolate (or cheese or coffee, etc.) is bad for me, is that true?


“Well, almost everything I’ve read says something to that end.”

“OK, but can I
absolutely know that it’s true that chocolate is bad or fattening for me?”

“Well, no, I can’t
absolutely know that.”

“With the
thought that chocolate isn’t a good thing to eat, I feel really rotten, and guilt ridden when I eat it. I feel like, once again, I’m doing something wrong.”

“Without the
thought that chocolate isn’t a good thing to eat, and I eat some, I really feel more at ease, no vestige of guilt, and I feel good about myself.”

So, with the thought – stress! Wi
Italicthout the thought – ease!

“Hmmmm..., so perhaps a thought that is
truer for me might be:

"Chocolate is good for me, because it makes me feel good”, or another truer statement might be:
“My thinking is making me fat and is bad for me, when it causes me to feel guilty and wrong”, or
"I should eat chocolate! (Raw cacao beans are actually one of the highest sources of magnesium, and it tastes really good!)”

Anytime we encounter distress it’s a signal that a lie is present, and our bodies are great lie detectors (as well as truth detectors)! When I pay more attention to the truth that ‘fits’ me, rather than how my clothes are fitting, the body and clothes naturally align themselves. I have found that it’s really not possible to be successful – at anything really – if I try to buy into something that I have not proven for myself.

If you feel like you keep sabotaging yourself, it’s a good time to cleanse, or detox, your stressful thoughts, and you’ll begin to feel and look more to your liking!

Drinking green smoothies, and adding more greens, vegetables, and fruits to your diet will easily transition you into a more natural diet, and you’ll soon notice that cooked foods taste really dull by comparison. And
most importantly, love, appreciate and accept the beautiful, creative woman/man that you are, listening closely to what makes you feel really good, and you’ll be dazzled by the results!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment